Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gasp...!!

This is me surfacing for air finally. Wow, constantly caring for an infant is HARD WORK. He is such a great baby and this has been just what we have asked for, we are so grateful for him. I look at him and want to cry in gratitude to the Father for such a precious gift.


The first couple of days were rough. He didn't sleep much and cried a lot the first day. The last couple of weeks have been completely different, though, he sleeps a whole lot now. I guess this is what we have to look forward to--fleeting stages of life from here on out. He sleeps so much now that I just want to hold him all the time. He has moments of quiet alertness that only last a few minutes at a time. Kevin has been enjoying some stare-time in the mornings with him while I get ready for the day. There are those wailing times, though (is it bad that I took 30 seconds to get a picture of this instead of trying to console him? This mouth had to be documented.)


A rare quiet alert moment..

This is his "drunk on milk" face, he's quite a lush...


He sleeps on his side and will roll over if I place him down on his back. He's so cute with his arm tucked under his head. At the hospital immediately after he was born, the nurse put him next to me on his back while she checked him out and he promptly rolled over onto his side. She was surprised and laughed.



He makes the funniest faces--from looks of disgust to what seem like wide grins, he keeps us laughing. I love his little lips--they pucker up in the cutest way. He purses them like an old man who has seen something he disapproves of. When he blinks, his eyelids crinkle up. He hardly has any eylashes or eyebrows, but has a full head of light brown hair, like Kevin's. When he yawns he strains his neck upwards so that he looks like a little hungry bird.

The disapproving pucker...


Little birdie...


I love watching Kevin with him. There are different emotions that a man experiences with his child and I see those coming out in him. Things like protectiveness and the desire to provide and care for both of us have been the things on his heart these days. He worries that he isn't doing enough, but I don't know what I would do without him. he has waited on me hand and foot and has changed far more diapers than I have. He gave him his first bath and checks him over carefully to makes sure he is alright. Nothing can mesmerize Jude like Kevin's original number, "Jude is a Dude in a Mood." I love seeing the dad in Kevin.
Sweet...


A lively little jig...


Oma came to visit the second week, and it was such a huge help. She rocked him to sleep and I got to catch up on a little sleep. It's really helpful to have a third person around during the first couple of weeks since I was still recovering from the birth. He loves her already!!


I have to admit that I'm not quite feeling like a human being again, but I'm getting there. this has been a hard and wonderful few weeks--there is nothing I can compare it to. Jude is hanging out in my lap watching me write this and I can see that he has no expectations of me. I, on the other hand, feel the weight of this office greatly. Whether he knows it or not, his little life is a great gift and one that will require much of us. The real greatness is in the Giver, though. Don't we all have little lives? The Father makes tiny things great.

6 comments:

Aunt Suzanne said...

Jude and is so precious and you both look so great with him. Don't worry, you will get many more breaths of air as time goes on. This doesn't sound so good but all babies are not beautiful - they are all precious, but not all beautiful. Jude is a beautiful little baby boy. I would just love to hug him and both of you. We will be looking forward to your next gasp. Love all the pictures. Love You.

Lori said...

So happy to see him and you doing well. He is adorable! The first weeks are the hardest b/c you don't feel like yourself, but as you start to feel a little more normal it will get better.

Courtney said...

I love this post! He is as gorgeous as ever and you are looking great, too. I have to say, I was thinking he was totally you but in that profile shot he looks like a Pounds!!! You are a great mama and I can't wait to meet him.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, he looks so much like Cheryl and Austin in a couple of these pictures! Congratulations- he is beautiful!

http://mrsogletree.wordpress.com

Tylers.Net said...

Congratulations! He is SO precious!! I hope you are all doing well and hopefully getting some sleep here and there too. :) We love you guys! Christi

Annette said...

Kristin, little Jude is absolutely wonderful!!!!!! Congratulations on your little miracle!!!! I'm saying prayers for you as you begin this new journey...it can be tough, exhausting, and overwhelming...oh, do I know! But it is also the most rewarding and joyful thing you can do this side of Heaven!!! :)